How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38912
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After 14 years with my company a total of 300k in my 401kcan

Customer Question

Hello, after 14 years with my company a total of 300k in my 401kcan they take any or a some of the amount away, should I be fired?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing as yet. But they are planting sabotages and it's complicated. Can you please refer someone that's knowledgeable iclose to me. My zip is 91024. Thank you!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I work for Fortune 500.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.


All vested retirement funds deposited into an ERISA-qualified plan (e.g., 401(k)) are the employee's property. Nothing can be recovered by the employer, regardless of the reason for termination of employment. If you've worked at the employer for 14 years, then, your retirement is entirely vested.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to speak with an expert ASAP! Can u please advise. Thank u!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.

I've sent the offer. If you accept, I can send my contact info, and we can take the discussion offline.

Thanks again for using Justanswer.

Related Employment Law Questions