How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19127
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well I got fired from my job due to getting into an

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** I got fired from my job due to getting into an altercation with the manager. I felt discriminated because he tried sending me home for the day and told me he'd have 2 other co workers do the job instead. Those other 2 co workers had just started working there not longer than a week when this happened. I worked for this company for almost 5 years WITHOUT any vacations, or even a raised for all that time. Anyways he ended up calling the cops on me. Well a week later one of my ex coworker called me saying an officer called him because he was getting accused of harrassing (the same manager) just for asking for his paycheck. BUT he also said that the officer told him "not to do the same thing lashis friend"(myself) "he (myself) was sabotaging or trying to sabotage the company" when for a fact that is NOT true. He is just trying to get revenge on me and talking bad about me to other workers from different companies. WHAT LEGAL ACTIONS CAN I TAKE ABOUT GETTING ACCUSED FOR SABOTAGING AND/OR DEFAMATION!?? By the way the 2 new employees are white nd i'm hispanic. And also i lost my job due to this matter...
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can file complaint for discrimination against the company with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC") if your former employer has 15 or more employees. Click here for more information on the complaint process.

You may also file lawsuit for discrimination. In order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and slanderous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (talking to co-workers, etc); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Related Employment Law Questions