How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13752
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on severance with my former employer in OR that will

Customer Question

I am on severance with my former employer in OR that will end on December 15, 2016. After being laid off from my position, I have relocated to Arizona. How and where do I apply for unemployment under these circumstances?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I was employed in Portland Oregon and now in Arizona.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I have been on a severance package from my past employer and it will end December 15th.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Since you worked in Oregon, and have a work history there, you need to file in Oregon through Unemployment Insurance. However, since there is a requirement that you look for work while receiving benefits, Oregon does require that you register with the agency that provides job placement in the state that you have moved to (likely will be the Arizona Department of Economic Security, which handles UI claims in Arizona) within 14 days of filing your claim so as to avoid them denying you.

They also recommend that if you have moved, you contact the Unemployment Insurance Center at 1-***-***-**** to give them your address and for instructions on how to report.

As far as filing a claim, you can get that information here.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!