Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have received a cease and desist letter from a previous

Customer Question
employer that says to stop...
I have received a cease and desist letter from a previous employer that says to stop all and any communication with prior and current employees of a company that I used to work for. I did send a very nasty email recently to a spoiled brat that was the reason of my departure. I left three years ago and certain things have come to light about exactly what she did. I should have sued for defamation and slander while i was there. I should have also sued for discrimination and harassment as result of the slander. I didn't because the employees were afraid of losing their jobs, because of her mother's position in the company. They wouldn't speak on my behalf. Some of those employees have since left and work elsewhere and are not afraid of losing their jobs anymore. I want to communicate with these employees.
The letter goes to threaten legal and civil action if I continue any communication. It says that they have already contacted the authorities over blah blah blah. here is the exact letter used. http://jux.law/cease-desist-harassment-intimidation-example-template-letter/ but specific to the company and myself. So this is a two fold question. I do not want to stop communication with any past or present employee that would provide more information on the matter and reason of my departure. and will not sign an aggreement that says that i have to. i will agree to stop sending "inappropriate and obscene" messages.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Legally, company cannot stop you from communicating with individuals. If the individuals dont want to speak with you, they have a right not to communicate, but the decision is between the parties, not the company. Obviously, company can try to block defamation, solicitation, or any damaging conduct, but as long as you are communicating in a civil and non harmful manner, you are well within your rights and may so advise the employer.

Kindly let me know if that is clear.

If I can clarify anything, reply and ask me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To be clear. the email that I sent to her was through her company email address by way of my private email. does what you said infact hold true in that case?
Does not change things.

Please take a moment to click on a 5 star rating.

If the rating button is not working, please confirm the answer is acceptable.

Infolawyer, Lawyer