How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19321
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who has stage 5 renal failure. He has been

Customer Question

I have a son who has stage 5 renal failure. He has been working since he was 18, he's now 47. He applied for SSD, but they said he only qualified for SSI. He worked the first job for 17 years it closed, then he went ot work for the city of Urbana Ohio for over nine years and lost that job, the job he had before he got sick he had two years. Why can he not get his SSD
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean, they have given him the SSI it started this month.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really. It's just that its a hard ship on me to pay his bills SSI only gives him $733 per month, and his rent is more than that. This is causing a major depression on him. He said "I worked all my life for this"
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to read about the denial of disability benefit

That seems odd that that Social Security Administration ("SSA") found him not eligible because he has not worked long enough when he worked for at least 17 years. On the jobs that he worked, do you know if the jobs deducted Social Security tax from his pay? You would need to go to local office of Social Security Administrative to have his earnings records reviewed. If the records are missing, you should contact IRS on his behalf to see if IRS would have copies of his W-2s. Once this information is obtained, it needs to be turned over to Social Security Administration to recalculate his earnings and redetermination of his eligibility for disability benefits.

Best wishes,