John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Just off after 12 years, 4wks severance with option for 4

Customer Question

just laid off after 12 years, 4wks severance with option for 4 more if i sign a release agreement. need a laywer to review that letter
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: yes, they know. I was told my job went away because the Exec i supported retired and sold the company but Execs told me they wrote in a stipulation regarding employee and i should be getting 9/10 wks severance
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: what does "at will" mean. I was full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I worked for other department heads, Purchasing, Cust Service, Accts Payable and Maintenance, but because the Execs left I was told I no longer had a job to do
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

In order to absolutely determine your rights, I would need to review the severance agreement. Since the agreement is almost certainly subject to being void if disclosed to third parties (other than an attorney under the attorney-client privilege), the only way to move forward and evaluate your rights is for me to send you an additional services offer, so that we can take the matter offline and outside of this public forum. I will send you this offer shortly.