How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask attyadvisor Your Own Question
attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6715
Experience:  29 years in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work at a charter school. I was hired in August. Last

Customer Question

I work at a charter school. I was hired in August. Last thursday night I received a message that Im being put on paid administrative leave until further notice. I am in the midst of my student teaching at a university so this is a problem. How long do they legally have the right to keep me on leave to investigate this matter before they must let me know a determination?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California, Los Angeles
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will. No union. Full time as teacher of record.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  attyadvisor replied 8 months ago.

These charter schools in particular seem to feel that no rules apply to them.

You stated there is no union can you tell me the name and location of the school so I can provide the resources you have available under the law as well as a link for attorneys in your area that provide FREE consultations?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Lifeline Education Charter School in Compton. I have abeen called in for a meeting tomorrow and asked to bring laptop, passwords and anything else I have of the school.
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 8 months ago.

You will still have options after the meeting regardless of the outcome. You will want to file complaints with the State Department of Education and contact a local Employment Lawyer, ideally one that could attend the meeting with you. Ask to record the meeting.

Let me provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in the area so, hopefully, you can have an advocate on your side.

Expert:  attyadvisor replied 8 months ago.

This is a kink for Attorneys in the area that provide FREE consultations

California Department of Education Complaint process

Labor Law complaint with the State

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Thank you for using JA.