How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13506
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer has failed to pay me for my last two weeks of

Customer Question

My employer has failed to pay me for my last two weeks of work, and won't even answer my calls. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

You can file a complaint for unpaid wages with the Michigan Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

From their website:

An employee who believes that his or her employer has violated this act may file a complaint with the Wage and Hour Division. A complaint alleging non-payment of wages or fringe benefits must be filed within 12 months of the alleged violation.

The time required to complete an investigation depends upon the number of cases under investigation, the complexity of the claim, and cooperation of the employer and employee. Employers are required to provide records and other relevant information. Employees may be asked to assist in the resolution of their claims by providing personal copies of fringe benefit policies, employment contracts, a personal record of hours worked, sales or customer identification if commissions are claimed and other relevant information. Employers and employees may also be asked to attend a meeting to clarify facts and negotiate a settlement of the complaint.

If a claim cannot be informally resolved, the Wage and Hour Division will issue a written determination that the employee or employer may appeal. A hearing before an administrative law judge will be scheduled. The employer and employee are expected to attend the administrative hearing to give testimony regarding the claim. The hearings officer will affirm, modify, or rescind the determination. That decision can be appealed to circuit court.

There is no charge to file a complaint and the form can be found on the bottom of the page I linked you to. Alternatively, you could sue your employer in court directly for the unpaid wages and skip filing a complaint for unpaid wages.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.

Related Employment Law Questions