Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

I am a basketball coach, I was removed from my position

Customer Question

I am a basketball coach, I was removed from my position without any warning or notice, they simply stopped my pay told me nothing and hired the princples consin
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south carolina
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: we have a 1 year contact for school, but don't sign one for coaching
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately if you were not under any type of written fixed term employment contract for the coaching job, then legally you would be considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

While what they did was inequitable and unfair to terminate you without any prior notice, it was not illegal. Wrongful termination only comes into play if you were terminated for being part of a protected class (gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin).

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks