How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I resign from my current my in NJ because severe migrant

Customer Question

If I resign from my current my in NJ because severe migrant headaches would i be able to collect unemployment?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

It is possible, but there are some things you would need to try before leaving to qualify.

If you have a health condition that was caused or aggravated by the work and you are having a hard time performing your job, let your employer know. If special accommodations, such as changing your shift or restricting lifting or standing, would enable you to keep working, ask your employer for those accommodations. You should provide your employer with a doctor’s note explaining that you need a certain accommodation due to your disability. You don’t have to give extensive medical records to your employer, but you should be prepared to offer a brief doctor’s note explaining the need for an accommodation. The employer does not have to grant your request for a “reasonable accommodation” (a term from the federal Americans with Disabilities Act) if doing so will be a significant burden. But your employer must at least discuss with you the possibility of one or more reasonable accommodations.

If you are not given an accommodation, ask your employer if there are any other positions available that you could do, given the limits of your disability. In some cases, it may seem obvious that there is no other suitable work available, but it’s a good idea to make the request anyway.

If you leave work due to a medical condition and want to receive unemployment benefits, you will need to prove that there was no other work you could have performed there.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?