How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been suspended as a teacher because of suspicion of

Customer Question

I have been suspended as a teacher because of suspicion of alcohol during school day. They made me do a breathalyzer which came up positivize. I was not drinking at school but had alcohol the night before. I have complied with all of the steps that they have outlined but I am not sure if I need legal help next.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My job status is contingent upon what is found
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 10 months ago.

My recommendation to you would be to engage a local lawyer. You may want to get a lawyer involved now, but definitely if your employer takes some adverse action as to your employment. Are you part of a teacher's union? Teachers I have dealt with in the past have had free, or affordable, access to lawyers through their union and the union will often step in and help with defense on a matter such as this.

You are going to want to have a lawyer involved because it sounds like you have a reasonable defense to the positive breathalyzer. If you are suspended or terminated, you are going to need to quickly appeal/seek a hearing so you can make this defense. You can do this alone, but when it comes to your career, my advice is to spend the money and get a local expert involved.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. After rating, feel free to ask follow-up questions. Thanks!