Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

In a hostile work environment--when an employee is fired--is

Customer Question
it legal for them to...
In a hostile work environment--when an employee is fired--is it legal for them to impose a gag order, preventing any whistleblowing? (This is in the state of New York)
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: As I said in the message, New York
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: "At will" and full-time, though processes for dismissal were not followed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Severance was agreed to and a last day of work set. But the 7-page agreement, imposing a gag order, was only presented as I was putting on my coat and stepping out the door Hmm--didn't know there was a fee
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/28/2016
Employment Lawyer: Attorney2020, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer

Didn't know there was a fee for what?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I paid the $5. Where is the response?
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
These kind of gag orders are pretty typical and are valid unless you can prove that you signed it or agreed under duress
If it was a condition of your severance and release then it would probably be deemed enforceable
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer