Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

My employer gave me a raise 90days after hiring me so for

Customer Question

My employer gave me a raise 90days after hiring me so for the last 10months I was at $9.25/hr. During which I have worked several shifts at different worksites same rate. Out of nowhere my pay rate dropped to $8 with out any prior notification is this leagal in the state of NC
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Because employment is at will, your employer can reduce your pay going forward at any time. The decrease is only effective for hours worked after you've been told about it. It is not legal to reduce pay for hours already worked, because you worked those hours based on the promise that the employer would pay a certain amount. If your employer will not pay the amount you're owed, the law allows you to collect double the amount they withheld, plus interest. N.C. Gen. Stat., Section 95-25.22.

You have two years to file a lawsuit, but you can also file a Wage Complaint with the North Carolina Department of Labor. Note that you have to wait at least 10 days after receiving your paycheck before you can sue.

http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/Wage_Complaint_How_to_File.pdf

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.