Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY AT 47 IN 1994. HE WAS RECEIVING A

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY AT 47 IN 1994. HE WAS RECEIVING A PENSION FROM NYFD , ORIGINALLY HE HAD AGREED TO A HIGHER MO. PYT FOR HIS LIFETIME THAT WHICH WOULD STOP IF HE DIED BEFORE ME. SEVERAL YRS LATER I WAS ADVISED THAT MY HUSBAND WAS ONE OF THE FIREFIGHTERS THAT WERE GIVEN THE OPTION OF (WITHOUT ANY REDUCTION OF PYT AMT) TO CONTINUE MY BENEFITS , JUST BY SIGNING A LETTER. I HAVE DOCUMENTATION FROM NYFD THAT THIS WAS THE CASE BUT THE LETTER WAS SENT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS (which they CONFIRMED ).I CONTACTED FDNY AND CHN 7 NEWS WHO SENT A TEAM AND INTERVIEWED ME THEN AT THE LAST MIN CANCELLED IT . I HAVE 6 GROWN CHILDREN, 13 GRANDS I HAD LOST MY HOME HAVE HAD SERIOUS ILLNESS AND ACCIDENTS WITH MY CHILDREN. I HAVE WKD 2 JOBS. I REALIZE THERE IS A STATUE OF LIMITATIONS BUT I AMABLE TO GET A LEGITIMATE PHYSICIANS LTR STATING I HAVE BEEN UNABLE EMOTIONALLY WITH ALL MY STRESSORS TO PROCEED WITH THIS. I BELIEVE I AM ENTITLED TO THIS PENSION. CAN YOU SUGGEST MY BEST COURSE OF ACTION. THANK YOU
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, no, at this point if you did not make a claim within the statute of limitations period they cannot go back and make the change now. This is why they cancelled the news story, once they found out the time had passed, there is nothing more legally you can do. Even using an attorney to try to sue would not work since they cannot change the amount of time that has passed or the limitation period I am sorry to say.