How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19632
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seeking a wrongful discharge and harassment. I am a

Customer Question

I am seeking a wrongful discharge and harassment. I am a Nursing Home Administrator who without cause and no documentation in my file regarding negative performance was terminated this AM. Denied any severance and I am the sole income provider with my husband battling Cancer. the corporate Nurse Consultant went around and asked employees to write out statements because they were not following work place rules and/or performance I was doing my job. I also feel her actions was a form of defamation of character secondary to I hold 2 licenses; RN and Nursing Home Administrator.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I also believe my benefits started on 11/01/2016 and they didn't want to have the medical expenses my husband is incurring with cancer treatments. I was told upfront when I applied that any time needed off for my husbands cancer would be understood as I disclosed on day of interview.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This isn't real estate it is employment; I am in NC as is the employer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are welcome
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am fine with texting right now
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to file complaint with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for disability discrimination if you are alleging that you were terminated because of your husband's illness.

As for the defamation case, you would need an Attorney who handles civil rights cases to assist you with the case. In order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and slanderous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (talking to co-workers, etc); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Best wishes,