Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked for Westinghouse from 1971 thru Sept. 1995! Am I

Customer Question
My name is Ronald ******...
My name is Ronald ******! I worked for Westinghouse from 1971 thru Sept. 1995! Am I entitled to a pension?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
10/24/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did you have a pension plan mentioned in your employment contract? Was money being put away as part of your pay into that pension plan? Was there an employee handbook which promised a pension plan?

If the answer to any of those questions us yes, then someone in your situation may be entitled to a pension. A pension is not a "right," it is a contractual obligation. No one can tell you whether you had it - you'd need to research this.

However if the answer to the above is "no," I am afraid that likely, there is no right to a pension.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We had a union contract and I worked full time.
Did the union contract call for a pension?
This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was in the contract.
Then someone in your situation likely had a pension built up... if it was ever set up to begin with. You can call 1-***-***-**** to talk to a specialist from that company on whether or not this exists. That number is ***** former US employees with Westinghouse division operating in the United States.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law