Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I just received a letter from my COBRA administrator company

(Basic Pacific) that my plan...
I just received a letter from my COBRA administrator company (Basic Pacific) that my plan has been dropped and my coverage will end on October 31. I have emailed the HR admin at my old job to find out the name and contact info for the new COBRA admin company.
First, can you help me determine my rights regarding notification about the change? Second, I had paid Basic Pacific through the end of this year for coverage; they said they'd issue a refund. I'm much more concerned with a break in my coverage than I am with a refund.
The HR admin at my old job told me that she had "spoken to ADP who will be handling the new COBRA system and have instructed them to send you the new COBRA information via your email address to expedite matters. You should receive the materials via your email at the end of the day or tomorrow. Please note you will not have a gap in COBRA coverage during the transition."
She has not answered my further questions regarding a gap in coverage or any details about a person to be in touch with at ADP.
I can't believe that I was only notified a week before my coverage ends!
10/24/2016
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is a termination of benefits under COBRA because the employer is changing companies, they have to extend you the same rights under COBRA with the new company. Failure to provide you the information to continue your benefits would violate COBRA and you would call the US Department of Labor, who handles COBRA complaints and you would be surprised how fast they resolve these issues and get benefits reinstated with the new insurer. There should not be any gap in coverage and if there is because the employer failed to set this up properly, the employer would be liable for fines and also for paying any costs you incur that should have been covered by insurers.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney