How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5732
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was sent by my employer to be evaluated by a psychiatrist

Customer Question

I was sent by my employer to be evaluated by a psychiatrist and was cleared to return to work. My employer is requiring me to see a psychiatrist further as a condition of returning to work. I am under the impression that they can't require such a thing if I'm already considered fit to return. I have been on unpaid suspension for about 6 weeks.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Yes, what your employer is doing is a violation of the American's with Disabilities Act. They can send you to the doctor if they reasonably believe you are a threat to yourself or others, but they cannot insist you get further treatment when you have been assessed as able to return to work; that's a violation. You can/should fiile with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The EEOC would investigate the workplace at no charge to you and make a determination of whether discrimination occurred. If the EEOC finds that, they attempt to work out a resolution or, if a resolution cannot be reached, they'll either sue the employer or allow you to sue them in federal court. Lastly, your employer cannot legally discipline or discharge you for filing with the EEOC. If this sounds like something you're interested in, you can learn how and where to file a charge with them here-

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
resigning and sueing isn't the proper action at this point?
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

If you resign, then you add the factor to your case of constructive discharge. In which case you have to additionally prove that no reasonable person would have stayed in the position, and you'd have to try to mitigate damages by looking for another job. Neither of these ruin your case, but make the case more complex.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was terminated today for not signing the agreement to go to Psychotherapy. The employer is calling in "Voluntary" on my part. Is this considered "voluntary", not having a choice but to agree to a violation of my rights?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

No, not in any way is it a voluntary resignation. You should consider litigation for certain.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.