How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12786
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter had been working for 3 years as an insurance

Customer Question

My daughter had been working for 3 years as an insurance marketing agent in Texas.the company was sold to an another company. The new company let go one or two other marketing agents.The result was that my daughter was told that she now had to travel to the other territory in addition to her own travels.she agreed but was not happy with so much traveling she made this known to her manager,and requested that at least the company should pay a higher salary to compensate for the extended work.her manager scald that he would bring this up to this own manager(higher up manager)this went back and forth for about two months but there was no answered one way or another.She Finalley decider to quite.I explained to her that it did not seem fail because she could have refused the extra load and the result would that she might get fired and qualified for unemployment, but she did not feel that getting fired would look good on her I agreed.But now she is left without employment and no income.Her prior company owners he'd requested her to move to where she now living and paid for her moving expenses plus they gave her a raise!!now she is left with a l lease at $2,000. Per month for the next 4 months and no job She wants come back home but she is stuck!! Was it legal for the company to just ignore her and is there anything that she can Do ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's situation....
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
This is highly unfortunate because employers have no legal obligation to increase an employee's pay because the employee is given more work or more difficult work. Your daughter had the right to quit instead of accept the terms of employment being offered to her, but quitting of course has consequences of its own, which she is now experiencing. In most cases there is not a legal solution here. The only thing I can think of is applying for unemployment on the theory that your daughter had no choice but to quit given the circumstances of the employment and thus was "constructively terminated." It is very hard to prove constructive termination though because you need to show that NO reasonable person desirous of remaining employed would have done so under the circumstances. Still, your daughter can certainly try to make this argument. There is no penalty for trying and being denied. Aside from applying for unemployment benefits and searching as hard as she can for a new job, there would not typically be any other solution (at least not legal) for the situation she faces. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can clarify for you....