How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer provided me and my 4 year old daughter housing.

Customer Question

my employer provided me and my 4 year old daughter housing. today she told me I was fired and that I have two weeks to vacate the premisiss. what is the proper procedure to evict some one in this sercumstance? I am also bound by my coustody agreement that I have to provide the court with a new address.along with new address and school diresct. can she just through us out into the street like she wants to
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When an employer provides housing as part of employment then they need to give you written notice to evict for non-payment of rent which is typical 3 day notice, so here the employer gave you 2 week notice. If you do not leave in 2 weeks the landlord would need to go to court to sue you for eviction, she legally cannot engage in self help and forcibly evict you and needs to use the court process to evict you.
So she can evict you and force you out by suing you in court for eviction. If she tries to forcibly evict you without court order if you cannot get out in the 2 weeks, then you could sue her for illegal eviction. But honestly, she has given you more time than required and I know it can be tough to move at short notice, but you should do so as once she files suit in court you have an eviction on your rental records that you cannot remove.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.