How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116711
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was bullied and mobbed in my previous job for several

Customer Question

Hello, I was bullied and mobbed in my previous job for several years and resigned a few months ago. My two supervisors participated and condoned and encouraged other staff to participate. Both supervisors told me they would write letters of recommendation for me, burt I have not received them. I need, for my psychological well-being and health, to avoid contact with them as much as possible. I do not want to go back into the vuolding of my prior employers because I have severe anxiety, and panic attacks that are triggered by anything associated with them, especially the place where I was abused. IDoyou have any advice for me as to how I can obtain or request the letters wth as little personal contact from me or with them as possible? I was wondering if an attorney could write a letter, or perhaps you could offer suggestions as to how I can request the letters and ensure that they provide them. I also am concerned about the possibilitynthey may defame me to future potential employers. Is there anything I can do to protect my legitimate interests? I don't want to be held hostage by two previous supervisors who already have shown they are untrustworthy toward me. I live in the USA. I hope you can assist me. Many, many thanks.
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Please see my message above. Are you able to see it? Thanks.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on? No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I misspelled "building" as "vulding". My apologies. I was unable to see the text of my comment as it is covered up by an image on my tablet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is in West Virginia. The bullying started 12 years ago, soon after I was hired. My immediate supervisor was the only one involved. I tried resolving it with her one-on-one in conversations on different occasions. When it became clear that nothing had changed and it simply continued/escalated, I spoke privately with someone in a superipr administrative position over her. This was someone not in the immediate buliding of my then-employer. After that, she recruited more people to bullly me and it brcame mobbing. I had to have countless sessions of counseling and therapy to cope with the abuse. I am palnning to relocate to anoyther state to assist my elderly mother, but I eant to be sure they will not be able harm my employment prospects. They have ostracized me in my immmediate community. I am worried they will blackball me in my profession or or find a way to ruin my attempts to secure employment in North Carolina. Esssentially, it is a kind of stalking, in my opinion.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
We cannot write any letters for anyone from this site it is deemed representation which would be against state laws.
You do not have to go into the building, you would merely need to write the letter to them yourself asking them to please send you the letters of reference they promised. The problem is there are no laws mandating anyone write a reference letter, so there is no legal position you can rely upon to force them to do so and an attorney would not really do you much good in getting that done.
Unfortunately, you cannot stop them from defaming you BEFORE they do so. If they make known false statements about you to others, then at that time you can sue them for defamation and seek damages from them, but you need evidence they made known false statements to succeed in a suit. There is no legal process to take to protect yourself before they actually commit the act of defamation.
If they are harassing you, then you also have a right to file suit against them for that harassment and seek damages they have caused from that harassment.