How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been employed at a local college for 32 years. With

Customer Question

I have been employed at a local college for 32 years. With the new Obama exempt vs non-exempt law, even though I am a director/manager I am being restricted to 40 hours a week and no overtime. If I go over, I have been told that I must take comp time. Our wages have been frozen for the past 5 years. I make only 37, 800. I have been held back for many years and have documentation. Do I have a case for back wages and getting bumped up towhere my pay shouldbe--grade level 22?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You may be able to seek backpay for the period of time prior to the change in the exempt/nonexempt law. In order to know for sure, you should consult a worker's compensation attorney that is local for you. They will be better able to review your case and give you a good idea of your chances of recovering.

The new law however, would limit your overtime and keep you restricted to 40 hours per week.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.