Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I took a leave of absence from National American University

Customer Question

I took a leave of absence from National American University from the nursing program due to an unexpected death in the family. When I left I was assured I would be able to return winter quarter. I emailed the dean of nursing and she said they are not excepting reentry students due to possibly loosing accreditation in February. I was suppose to graduate in August with my Bachelors degree in nursing and have spent close to $100,000 in tuition. Do I have any legal options?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. I am not seeing a strong legal claim here unless you have something in writing that you would be able to come back in the winter quarter. The issue is that there is a defense called the doctrine of change circumstances in that even if their promise was valid they did not foresee losing accreditation.

are you able to transfer the credits?