Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Can an employer force you to sign documentation about events

Can an employer force you to sign documentation about events that you were not present to witness? My manager has threatened me stating it's part of my job even if I didn't work the same day the event happened

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

No, an employer may not force you to sign something you do not want to. However, unless this involves the manager suborning you to commit a crime, such as perjury, it could give rise to claim for wrongful discharge if you were terminated for refusing to sign.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
legally I can not Be written up or reprimanded for this?

Thank you for following up with me.

If they try you should dispute it in writing and demand that your account be included in your file.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** last thing. Would I be better off reporting this to HR in order to protect myself or can that put me at risk of termination or discrimination?
Would hold off on reporting it unless some sort of adverse action is taken against you by the manager.
You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!