Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been turned down for several jobs and believe because

Customer Question
of the situation that I...
I have been turned down for several jobs and believe because of the situation that I left. I reported my boss to HR after going to him for falsifying documents and then his retailliatory bullying. I left within 6 months, but that was over 1 1/2 years ago and have had great final interviews and then the abrupt, we went a different way or we decided not to hire in this position. I've hired a private investigator, but am having no luch
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MN
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, how do I address this issue in interviews, because even if the employer is addressed, the rumors will persist
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
10/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. First, if you believe the employer is making false statements of fact about your employment history, you have the right to hire an attorney and file a defamation of character action against them. If you go that route, your attorney can find out more information than a private investigator can because they will depose (under oath) the employer's personnel that either are involved in providing the references or that might know about any statements being made. That though is your choice.

As for interviews, that is more difficult. The last thing that prospective employers want to hear are complaints or troubles with prior employers. Right or wrong, that sends a signal that the employee might be contentious and that is the last thing the employer wants. So, it is important to try to be diplomatic when explaining why you left a prior employer. I can't tell you what to say because you have the facts, I don't have all of them including those that the employer has, and you will have a sense for how much a particular employer may need to know. Usually, if there is an opportunity to interview and you have written that you resigned your prior job, you can note that you will be glad to discuss the circumstances of your leaving. At that point, if you do, keep in mind what I mentioned about complaining about the employer and balance your sharing of the reasons with what the employer really needs to know about your work and employment. Also, keep in mind that defamation works both ways, so you want to stick to facts that can be proved.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I will be away from my computer for much of the day but will respond to your reply as soon as I am available. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 16th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer