How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19324
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

From 2012 through now I have lived in Michigan, and worked

Customer Question

From 2012 through now I have lived in Michigan, and worked in multiple states. Mostly Indiana. Under a reciprocal agreement. In all the prior years my unemployment has bee reported to Michigan. As of 2015 it seems my payroll department has changed, and has been reporting my wages for unemployment to the "state worked in." This has caused a few problems. It has been nothing less than impossible to gather anything but conflicting information on this subject.Did the law change? Has my company been doing things wrong for 5 years? I find myself stuck between the state of Michigan, who after I provide wage information to, and are now saying that my company reported my wages in Illinois. although I only worked there a few weeks. Indiana, where the bulk of my work was actually performed, Michigan where I reside, Illinois, and now Minnesota where I find myself today are all taking a bite. I get laid off for a month, and the buck passing starts.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

The law did not change. Your unemployment benefits application must be filed in the State where you reside. Then, it would be the responsibility of your State's unemployment agency to verify your wages and pay your benefits accordingly.