How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My human resources representative disclosed information to

Customer Question

My human resources representative disclosed information to my ex-wife regarding benefits for my emancipated daughter. Apparently my ex-wife and that human resources representative are in the same sorority. My current wife is very upset and I took it to the attention of the chief of staff of whom has done nothing about it. This is not only affecting my job because I have to interact with her, but I've been off with work with headaches as I have hypertension and believe my privacy has been invaded is there anything at all I can do about this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is an invasion of privacy and the HR representative had no legal right to disclose your information to anyone but you or your daughter as she is emancipated, UNLESS your ex presented the HR representative with a written power of attorney for your daughter. If your employer refuses to take action, then you still have the right to sue your employer and the HR representative personally for breach of their duty of confidentiality of your personnel information AND for invasion of your privacy. You need to go get treatment for your medical condition caused by the emotional distress from the incident to begin to document damages and you would need a local attorney to file suit for your damages, including emotional distress.