Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I live in NJ and worked for a biotech company for 12 yrs. I

Customer Question
need to know if attending...
I live in NJ and worked for a biotech company for 12 yrs. I need to know if attending a university can preclude me from getting promoted. (a degree is not needed to be promoted).
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nj
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm one of the highest performing employee in our group. I'm performing as a level II and my boss told me that since my interest is in school and law, I cannot be promoted. I have at least 5 more years before graduation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
10/15/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no law that says you cannot be promoted because of going to school. Also, the law in NJ is that absent a written contract to the contrary, you are an at will employee. An at will employer can promote, hire, fire an at will employee for any reason or no reason EXCEPT based ONLY on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. So, this is not a legal issue, it is an internal issue with the employer, since there is no law that prevents an employer from saying what your boss told you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The issue that I have with what my boss told me is that 2 employees were promoted while attending school. So the attending schools precludes me from being promoted cannot apply.
Thank you for your reply.
So you have to prove that the real reason you are not being promoted is based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin in order to have a legal claim against the employer, since those are the only rights an at will employee has against an employer.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney