How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33492
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The company I have worked for continuously since 1990 (W2)

Customer Question

The company I have worked for continuously since 1990 (W2) just cut my work load and consequently my salary by 66.6%. I am being offered 1/3 of my salary for 1/3 of the work. Should I be seeking unemployment assistance?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in New York, however my employer is located in the State of Connecticut.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: There is no union. I would have to call it part time. This was my second job for the last 27 years. I retired from my primary job last December.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If you wish to leave, having your salary cut by 2/3 is "good cause" and would not disqualify you from unemployment. Likewise, you can file for partial benefits for "underemployment" in the loss of schedule and salary.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!