How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe I have been gang-stalked, harassed, and under

Customer Question

I believe I have been gang-stalked, harassed, and under illegal surveillance for at least 18 months. The harassment has affected every area of my life: threats/propaganda sent to iPhone, iPhone compromised, home intrusion, storage unit theft, quit job as asst manager (one reason), no contact with family or friends, personal information on public radio, PRIVACY RIGHTS VIOLATED POSSIBLY
I have gone to the police, sheriff's office, and I don't know where to go for help.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Why do you believe this has happened? Do you have any idea of who would be doing this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe it involves landlord, neighbors, and work/employees.
Ex. Things I say/do in privacy of the rental were talked about at work or "replayed" at work. Actual garbage from the rental was brought into work and thrown on the floor by a former co-worker more than once.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

If the police aren't doing anything then you can ask the court for an injunction against whoever is doing this. However, before you do that you may want to hire a lawyer and get them to refer you to a private investigator who can help you prepare some evidence to use to support your case.

Right now, assuming these people don't just admit to doing this, it is a "he said, she said" type of situation and usually those aren't enough for an injunction. The private investigator can check your house for listening devices, watch over you to see who is "sneaking around", etc. Then that PI's testimony can be used to support the Application for Injunction.

The steps to an injunction are:

1) An Application for TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) is filed along with supporting evidence such as affidavits. Usually the Application for Injunction is made at the same time. The TRO is a temporary measure and is not absolutely required before you get an injunction.
2) An Ex Parte (without the other side present) Hearing is conducted and the judge either issues the TRO or denies it. If the TRO is issued the judge orders a bond set in a sufficient amount to compensate the other side for any damages accumulated while the TRO is in place if the applicant fails to prove their right to an injunction.
3) A hearing on the TRO is set.
4) The TRO and notice of Hearing is served on the defendant.
5) The defendant should immediately begin following the judge's orders.
6) The TRO hearing is held and each side has an opportunity to present evidence and question witnesses.
7) The judge makes the decision on whether to convert the TRO to a Temporary Injunction or not.
8) If the TRO is converted to a Temporary Injunction then the judge sets a new bond to be in place.
9) Discovery is conducted by both sides.
10) A request for hearing date is made on the matter of converting the Temporary Injunction into a Permanent Injunction.
11) The hearing/trial is held on the Permanent Injunction and the judge issues a ruling.

These are what are known as extraordinary remedies and the procedural rules for these as well as the case law are EXTREMELY specific and difficult. If ANY mistakes are made the judge has no choice but to deny the relief and will not likely reconsider it in the future.

Just as an example, getting injunctive relief, both temporary and permanent, requires that evidence be offered of:
1) An immediate need,
2) Which, if not granted, will result in irreparable harm,
3) With no adequate remedy at law, and
4) (on temporary order) The person requesting the injunction is likely to succeed at a full trial on the merits.

If evidence is not offered to meet these four requirements, in a manner that the judge knows this is what the evidence shows, then the petition will be denied.

There are more requirements than this depending on the exact facts of the case but it is very, very easy to mess up one of these and end up having to pay damages to the other side just because your paperwork wasn't done properly.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Employment Law Questions