How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20289
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I work for a car dealership and they recently got bought

Customer Question

If I work for a car dealership and they recently got bought out with new owners. I sell car so I work off of a commission pay...if the new owners lie about my expenses before I get there anything that I can do about that legally
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time...26 yrs in the profession and 15 yrs with this company
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 10 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. If I understand you correctly, you are being paid less in commissions than you expect, because your employer is deducting more in "expenses" from your gross commissions than you expect. If that is the case and you cannot resolve the issue then you can try filing a wage complaint with the TWC. If, for some reason, they reject your complaint (which they can do if the amount owed to you is not clear or some other factor under their determination), then you would have to file suit for the amount you believe you are owed. If the amount owed to you is less than $10K, you can file suit yourself in small claims court. You would be entitled to ask for discovery from the employer in the form of what was used to calculate the deductions from your gross commissions.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If I do not respond immediately, I will reply as soon as I am available. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you