How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12801
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i be fired from work for absences due to chronic pain,

Customer Question

Can i be fired from work for absences due to chronic pain, Fibromyalgia. If HR suggest i resign, will i receive unemployment benefits. i live in Ca
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

If your employer has 5 or more employees, they are obligated under the law to "reasonably accommodate" your need to miss work. However, if your absences cause your employer to suffer "undue hardship" (judged on a case by case basis, but essentially meaning substantial difficulty or expense) they can let you go. In general, it is a very poor idea to resign, as resigning will typically result in disqualification from unemployment benefits. You have no affirmative legal obligation to resign, so if your employer doesn't want to keep you as an employee THEY should be the one to end the relationship. Then, assuming you can demonstrate to the EDD that you are physically able to work, you should get approved for unemployment benefits.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.