Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

The company I work for uses a contracted company for their

Customer Question
food services for employees to...
The company I work for uses a contracted company for their food services for employees to eat at work. The use a kiosk system to pay for items. I made a purchase at the kiosk this morning and presented items and waived my payment card but it didn't work and I didn't know that. They are investigating the camera footage and checking with a witness. If the investigation doesn't come out in my favor, I will be terminated. Do I have rights to see camera tape? I might have made an error at the kiosk, but I did not intentionally steal a burrito. Do I have any recourse at all?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Yes, if they plan terminate you you do have a right to see the video footage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I have any recourse if they fire me?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No phone call. Answer my question

If there is evidence that you did take the food without paying. I would offer to pay for it and see if that appeases them but unless you have an employment contract then most jobs are at will meaning they can fire you with or without cause. In this case, they would cite for cause and you would not qualify for unemployment benefits. That is where you could challenge it and say it was a misunderstanding and see the video.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer