Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If an employer gave employee the required 60 day notice of

Customer Question
termination, does the employee have...
If an employer gave employee the required 60 day notice of termination, does the employee have to continue working those 60 days
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
10/1/2016
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The employee has a contract that states, Notice of termination: 60 days advance notice of termination is required. The employer gave notice to employee 60 days contract termination. Does the employee have to accept the 60 days notice and continue working or can they leave that day?

Thank you for the information:

Does the employee have to accept the 60 days notice and continue working or can they leave that day?

Response: Accept the notice and continue to work until the 60 days have expired.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The question was do you have to.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have another job offer. Am I obligated to continue working if they terminated me

Yes, the employee has contractual obligation to stay until the expiration of the 60-day notice.

However, if there is an offer on the table, the employee can inform the employer and get mutual releases to terminate the employment contract immediately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They denied that so if I leave they can sue me?

Yes, they can sue for breach of the contract, for leaving before the expiration of the 60-day notice.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law