Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Approximately 2two months I interviewed and then received a

Customer Question
job offer from a freight...
Approximately 2two months I interviewed and then received a job offer from a freight company in logistics. I was told at the time that it would be anywhere from a week to two weeks before I would start. The company is currently working out of another state and is expanding to my area. They were in the process of setting up the office. Since the job offer, I have had little contact with them. I have called numerous times and have been told, "two weeks", then call next week but to date nothing has been concrete. Even when I have call or text recently, I get no response. Is there anything I can do? I could have been looking for a another job all this time that I have been jerked around. I'm not working right now and am running out of money!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

This is highly unfortunate but generally there is nothing you can do from a legal standpoint in these situations. The reason boils down to the fact that all employment is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated at ANY time for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

So, just as this employer could terminate you on your first day without any good reason, they can rescind their offer before you start the job, or they can "string you along" by continuing to delay your start day. They have no legal obligation to employ you, or to begin employing you by a specific date simply because they have extended an offer.

So, I'm afraid all you can really do is continue searching for other employment. If this job materializes then it does, but if it doesn't then you would not typically have any legal recourse against the employer. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Are you still with me?

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer