Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am needing help and rally confused about a situation, my

Customer Question
husband worked for this company...
I am needing help and rally confused about a situation, my husband worked for this company and after being hired. Started to experience a lot of problems where he was hired in as a leave and found out that there were people that had been there for over 10 yrs, and started to be harassed, 1 day the supervisor told him to go go home and he will call him to come back. so he waited several weeks and went to the labor board, filed for un employment. and was awarded unemployment. Several months later the company appealed the decision and the labor board reversed it. It filed suit for him to pay the money back. Reading the hand book for the unemployment it states the employer or the employese had 15 days to file appeal. We feel this is truly unfair want can be done about this.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This has to do with labor board.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. both parties appealed. and the labor board is asking him to pay $3800 back. Which is unfair to the public. the company did not express he was let go from the job and the labor awarded him his unemployment. 15 days appeal for the company had passed.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/30/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they appealed the decision late, they need to prove good cause for missing the 15 day appeal deadline. Now they are appealing, your husband needs to engage a local unemployment law attorney and object to the appeal for benefits citing that the termination was without good cause and also that the employer failed to appeal the benefits in a timely manner. If the labor board upholds the employer's appeal, your husband would need to appeal that decision to the state court to get that vacated.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney