Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was on EDD disability due to having surgery on my knee. I

Customer Question
had surgery October 2015. I...
I was on EDD disability due to having surgery on my knee. I had surgery October 2015. I have been receiving benefits through out this time. In February 2016-May-2016 I sent paperwork explaining myself that I am part time slowly trying to work again. I coached as a highschool soccer coach receiving $2100 within that 4 months. They pay you off of a stipend rather than hourly. I got another letter in the mail from EDD asking is I have worked at any time, and so I replied explaining I coached briefly and had to stop due to another surgery within the next couple months. I got a call a week ago from EDD asking that I worked and they received no info. I had sent it with my doctor and honestly have no idea what went wrong. I am not committing fraud since I admit to working. Now they want exact days and hours listed to help make a deduction. I am fine with doing this but I dont have any of it tracked since coaching is a stipend. I recorded about 32-35 hours a week coaching which limits down to nothing hourly. I wanted to get myself out of the house and try to ease into work and coaching was perfect. Now they want a list of hours and days which the school has no record and it is only off my word. I dont want to end up owing more money for this mistake and feel myself in a bind on what to do. How should I go about with giving them info or anything else for that matter?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/28/2016
Employment Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also to add I was getting paid 45$ a day through disability

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn about this situation. The EDD is going to make deductions against how many hours you worked (how much money you earned) per week.

So they need to know how many hours you worked each week.

The regular reporting is detailed in this link here: http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/How_to_Report_Work_or_Earnings.htm, and that should give you a better idea as to how you are going to want to report it to them when making your subsequent disclosure.

Breaking down the hours by week and payment by week.

You may end up owing money back - but it is going to be based on how much you earned each week, not a lump sum.

This link here gives you a very good summary of how the deductions work against your EDD benefits: http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/FAQ_-_Reporting_Work_and_Wages.htm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I give them the info, will they go off of what I am saying. Its not hourly but for this circumstance will it be?

You still will have worked a certain number of hours. You can divide your payment into those hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok and last, will they go off my word considering the school has no record of any of this? How should I format the hours and dates?

I would recommend using a format similar to the EDD link (the first one I gave you has a good template - any word processor with a chart feature will allow you to create one that matches this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "ForCustomerquot; and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry last question to based on what I earned? If the hourly rate is about 5$ per hour, how do they deduct that from the pay I get through EDD? Is it the number I made that day minus the total? Im confused on that part.

It is based on your weekly pay. The second EDD link bove gives you more detail, but:

• If your weekly earnings are $100 or less, the first $25 does not count. The amount of earnings more than $25 is subtracted from your weekly benefit amount and you are paid the difference, if any.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney