LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My employer has not been shredding sensitive documents with

Customer Question

My employer has not been shredding sensitive documents with employee's social security numbers. They have been reusing these documents and hanging the information throughout our building and sending these documents out. I have also found some in the trash. I alerted my management team, and corporate and they continue to do nothing. I also feel so uncomfortable because of my manager, I have asked for a transfer after 7 years with the company.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What question do you have?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we sue collectively for negligence? Do we have a case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that several employees also alerted corporate as well
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Macaela,

Well, several or more of you could join together and sue for Invasion of Privacy, but not for negligence. The intentional posting of your social security numbers is an invasion of your privacy and you can sue for damages resulting from any harm caused by the unreasonable public disclosure. Also, because the posting of this personal financial information is anything but an accident, you can also sue for punitive damages to punish the employer for doing this.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug