How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was teaching in China where I had a spine injury and I am

Customer Question

Hey - I was teaching in China where I had a spine injury and I am waiting to get pins out which is holding me back from worknig but I dont know if I made enough to qualify for unemployment insurance in IL I made 10,000 Chinese RMB a month plus housing/food - all in all about $1500 a month. Im also having problems with my employer in China, they are a state school which doesn't help.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well first off I dont know much about unemployment- but I graduated university in 2015 and taught in China last year - I was under contract until June of this year. In march I fell off of a roof at work and broke my spine I am now back in the united states, the chinese did a really good job on the surgery and I'm getting pins out in a few months - which is proving problematic in terms of seeking employment the recovery period could be 1-2 montsh months maybe more* thats 3 months away or so, so no one wants to hire me. I am looking into collecting unemployment due to fiscal concerns. I am trying to figure out if my last job payed enough to qualify.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for the information. Can you please tell me if your actual employer who paid you was a U.S. employer (versus a Chinese employer) and if so what State did they pay unemployment taxes to?