Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was teaching in China where I had a spine injury and I am

Customer Question
Hey - I was teaching...
Hey - I was teaching in China where I had a spine injury and I am waiting to get pins out which is holding me back from worknig but I dont know if I made enough to qualify for unemployment insurance in IL I made 10,000 Chinese RMB a month plus housing/food - all in all about $1500 a month. Im also having problems with my employer in China, they are a state school which doesn't help.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well first off I dont know much about unemployment- but I graduated university in 2015 and taught in China last year - I was under contract until June of this year. In march I fell off of a roof at work and broke my spine I am now back in the united states, the chinese did a really good job on the surgery and I'm getting pins out in a few months - which is proving problematic in terms of seeking employment the recovery period could be 1-2 montsh months maybe more* thats 3 months away or so, so no one wants to hire me. I am looking into collecting unemployment due to fiscal concerns. I am trying to figure out if my last job payed enough to qualify.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/27/2016
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information. Can you please tell me if your actual employer who paid you was a U.S. employer (versus a Chinese employer) and if so what State did they pay unemployment taxes to?

Tina, Lawyer