How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got terminated from my job based on false accusations. My

Customer Question

I got terminated from my job based on false accusations. My opinion is that I was fired due to my activity with the Teamsters. I have already filed a complaint with the NLRB and that is going forward.
The Teamsters filed a grievance on my behalf. My boss forged my signature on a form which stated that I would not be returning to work (I do seasonal work - we are required to sign a form stating if we will return to work at the end of the off season). The Teamster rep informed me of this, I stated that I did not sign any such form. So the grievance is going forward.
The forms were not available until AFTER I was terminated. Also it is obvious that my signature was copied, made into digital image (jpeg or gif) and added to the form on a computer. I emailed the form to HR and at least 2 company executives complaining about the forgery.
It's clear that my boss was trying to scuttle the grievance process by making it look as if I had resigned. I would like to know if I can sue him, the company or both. I am guessing small claims court, but would like some advice.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have proof of forgery, you can file a police complaint against your boss, first and foremost. If the DA refuses to take forgery charges, you still can file a civil suit against you boss personally for forgery and this is more than a small claims case as your loss of income is likely going to be more than the WA small claims $5000 limit. So you would need a local attorney to file suit against the boss personally and employer in the superior court.