Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am employed at Chuck E Cheese as a General Manager and was

Customer Question

I am employed at Chuck E Cheese as a General Manager and was hired and relocated to the bay area from the valley under the impression it was a 50 hour a week work schedule with both monthly and quarterly bonus program about six months ago. I work an average of 65 to 70 a week and have only received one bonus with for the most part of my employment having only one assistant manager where each location is designated for a minimum of four managers total and one technical manager which I don't have as well, and am required consistently to either attend a meeting, additional added training, or because of lack of management required to come in on my scheduled days off. When my district manager is in the store he demands me to be in several places at once and I continually work an eleven to fourteen hour shift without even getting a small break just to grab something to eat. In the time Ive been at this location I have never been able to take a meal break and am rarely able to take even a ten minute break to eat. I do understand that as the General Manager it is my duty to work more and to get what ever is necessary to get the job done. Ive done this type of work for over twenty years and am full aware of the down size to the position but this location was without a General Manager for six months before I arrived. My question is how much longer must I endure these conditions this is literally physically wearing me down and now that I have moved for this job I am obligated to be here for one year due to a lease agreement.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

These are very unfortunate circumstances and I am truly sorry to hear about the unreaonable demands being placed upon you. However, as you correctly state, as a salaried exempt manager you can be required to work whatever number of hours your employer determines is necessary for you to get the job done. Furthermore, as a salaried exempt employee, you do not typically have any entitlement to rest or lunch breaks. A good employer will make their employees' hours reasonable and will allow them the opportunity to take necessary breaks. This is simply good management because if an employer doesn't treat their employees well those employees will leave, creating high turnover and ultimately harming the employer's business. But there is no law that requires employers to manage their business well, or which prevents them from running their business into the ground with poor management tactics.

Your only recourse in this situation would typically be to try and negotiate better terms of employment under the threat that you will resign if conditions do not improve. If conditions can't be changed, you can also try to negotiate greater pay. Ultimately, though if the terms of employment being offered to you continue to be unacceptable, your only remaining option is to quit and look for other work. The fact you signed a lease is highly unfortunate but does not somehow change the law with respect to your employer's obligations to you.

Technically, it might be possible to quit and collect unemployment benefits on the ground that no reasonable person wpuld have continued working under these circumstances. However, there is always a risk you will be denied and so the better course of action if you do intend to leave this job is to wait until you have secured another offer of employment somewhere else. It also tends to be easier to get hired when you already have a job, so this work in your favor anyway.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my answer?