How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unemployment benefit Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question

unemployment benefit
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my parents have worked for my company for 8 years. I had to let them go because the company isn't making what we use to. I let them go a few months ago. They are going to file for unemployment benefits. There was one payroll error back at the beginning of the year where I accidentally paid them for 1/2 of their hours. I want to make up that payment but don't know how to do that so that it doesn't effect their maximum unemployment benefit?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because your payment to them will be to correct an accounting error that occurred during a time that they were still actively employed by you and they were not receiving unemployment benefits, the payment will not be deemed as present wages for present work by unemployment and therefore it will not negatively effect their unemployment benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Related Employment Law Questions