How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I do - I have worked for the same company for almost 20

Customer Question

Hi yes I do - I have worked for the same company for almost 20 years. I am about to take pt FMLA on intermittent schedule to protect job and attend therapy appts due to cancer treatment and surgery from 4 years ago - ptsd and anxiety due to ongoing medical issues - although cancer free. I have been dealing with a coworker who is a bully for many years and she is my boss' relation it has always been uncomfortable but I am going through a divorce too and being around toxic people or environements is dangerous to my health. This company is very rich and quick to litigate in financial services - I would like to request a mutual separation (is that the what it is called) to leave that environment but also get good references and leave on good terms - I am dependent too on the great health insurance they provide. I feel as if 20 years of service should entitle me to a package that will take care of me for a few years under the circumstances. Thanks!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Cali fornia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is this a free series?iis this a free service? andand is the connection by phone or email
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

I have read your post. I am not sure what specific legal question you want answered. [See above]. But it appears that you need a severance agreement and you can try to negotiate several months of continued pay and insurance coverage. Here is a sample form. As far as the FMLA leave, please know that they cannot fire you for taking that or retaliate against you for requesting it. So, you could take that first and then come back and ask for your job back and later seek a severance agreement too.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.