How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117392
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have macular degeneration, dry. No treatment or cure. I

Customer Question

I have macular degeneration, dry. No treatment or cure. I have worked for Arrow Electronics about 9 yrs. and had purchased long term disability insurance during those 9 years, through my compane y via liberty mutual. June 11, I applied for short term disability through Arrow /liberty mutual. I was 70 yrs young at the time. As the process began and I started to inquire about my long term insurance, I was informed that I was only eligible for my long term for 12 months after my short term expired, which will be, Dec 15, 2016 and long term expires December 15, 2017. I am now 71 as of August of this year. When I originally inquired about the long term time frame, no one actually know how long or could provide any information. when the Liberty mutual case worker finally gave me the information, I asked if there were any options for additional time and I was told no. that's what my company purchased. I requested a copy of the policy, which I did not ever receive and still have not. While I am 71, I am a young 71. My performance reviews were good. I was the #2 sales rep out of 11 reps. and I had no intention of retiring. I was never provided any information as to how long or as to the guide lines for LTD and now that I am in need, I am being told I only have one yr.
Also, I continue to pay for my LYD policy. I am looking for some help. Do I have any recourse? Thank you. **** *********
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your LTD is a contract between you and the insurer, so what they are liable to pay is only in accordance with the terms of that contract. THEY MUST provide you a copy of the policy and if they refuse to do so, you need to contact the NJ Department of Banking and Insurance ( and file a complaint. Once you get the policy, you would know exactly what they are bound to pay. You also need to look at the policy for terms that specify if an insured is eligible for Social Security whether or not they must take Social Security, which could also reduce or eliminate the payments under policy.
This is an entirely contractual matter, so you need to force them to provide the policy as they are required to do and if they refuse follow through with a complaint to the insurance commission.