Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was being harassed at work after filing a workman's comp

Customer Question
I was being harassed at...
I was being harassed at work after filing a workman's comp case. As a result I asked doctors to make it go away. I don't recall signing anything with workers comp insurance only received letter case opened 1/22/15 was closed 3/31/15. I fell on ice in parking lot 1/21/15 with severe neck pain and migraine reported next morning, but was not treated for it. After working long hours on computer experienced cervical neuralgia that I was receiving treatment for from neurologist Nov-Dec 2015 and on waiting list to see a neurosurgeon Jan 2016. Met with HR personnel asking for ADA accommodations that were denied and self disclaimed 1/21/16 for knees and neck on company website. Pain increased raising blood pressure and causing seizure type symptoms in ambulance on way to ER. Boss met EMS in lobby prior to my treatment. Someone other than paramedic was asking me questions and then I responded to him told me to tell the paramedic not him. I was not sure who was treating me of 4 people that arrived only 2 were in ambulance with me. I was given IV and injection in ambulance, but drug tested and yelled at by doctor, who had IV and monitors ripped off of me and told me he refused to treat me. I was already starting FMLA paper work since that was all HR would allow for me to not work overtime as an accommodation. Others were allowed to work from home for health reasons, but it was denied to me. I had neurosurgery on neck 5/4/16 and began to return on reduced schedule to work 5/31/16. A week prior I sent requests to HR asking for neck support on chair for neck or to bring my own chair. I even had doctor include it in her FMLA update as an accommodation it was denied. I pulled a neck muscle driving and requested to work from home new policy sent out 4/16/16 stated it was allowed and up to management, since everyone was working on laptops. I was denied it until, I went to see my PCP to have an FMLA update requesting to work from home, and was finally allowed until released to work from neurosurgeon fulltime 7/25/16. 6/3/16 I had submitted ADA policy notification to HR and ethics department of violation of requests and requested ergonomic adjustments per occupational nurse hired by HR to my work configuration. 7/28/16 I was told the neck support had to be shipped from Hong Kong, but told me I did not have the right to request shipping or order verification from facilities, but an hour later after I get back from lunch neck support was installed on my chair. I had an email from facilities that it was to arrive the week of 7/8/16. 8/23/16 I was notified that I was being laid off with 4 other people that we were immediately locked out of our computer and had to leave to gather our things. I had a non-disclosure agreement given for my review and signed return by 10/3/16. I cannot find an attorney to review it. It is threatening to pursue legal action if I do not return to them all e-mails I have sent or copied to my personal email related to the above. I have to sign all my rights to pursue legal action for any employment violation to receive 2 months severance package. My official last day however is 10/3/16, but I am not allowed on premises and denied the entrance to Accounting retreat in Vail at Four Seasons scheduled and signed up for 8/31-9/2/16. I also tuned 50 on 8/21/16 and most people laid off were over 40. A list was provided of titles and ages. I am not married, but live with my sister and nephews, who I had to disclose I was laid off to. Package also does not allow a 3rd party person being told of agreement unless legal or financial advice is given or spouse. Am I required by law to sign my rights away? They are a large corporation that have on staff attorneys. HR personnel told me they have ways of using insurance to get doctors to do what they want. My doctors told me no doctor would support me if I tried to go after them, and their assistants all whispered to me to find another place to work. What rights or course of action can I take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

You need to hire an employment law attorney to pursue either a better severance package in exchange for a release of claims or to pursue a lawsuit. I think they know they have significant liability here hence their demand for the release of claims.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried contacting lawyers as indicated in the forms I filled out. I cannot find a lawyer that will respond to my requests, because of the power this global company has and their on staff attorneys. They even intimidated my doctors to not provide care for me. I need to have someone review the document and give advice. If you are not able to do that then I would like a refund.

I can review the document and we can speak by phone but there would be additional charges.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No...I am not paying any more money this is a scam. I want a refund.

I am sorry you are not pleased. You should contact customer service about any refunds.

Otherwise I am happy to try and help.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer