How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in the US Army Reserves and works full-time for a

Customer Question

My son is in the US Army Reserves and works full-time for a local company. The company he works for is giving him alot of trouble because he has to take days to report to the US Army Reserves. Can he get fired for this?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, he cannot be fired for serving in the military. As long as he provides his employer with advance notice when he's going to be gone and the total amount of time he's gone is less than 5 years, his employer has to give him his job back when he's gone. He doesn't have to give notice if there's a military emergency that makes it impossible. He's protected by the Uniformed Services Employment And Reemployment Acts.

If your son's employer tried to fire him, he could file a complaint by calling 1-866-4-USA-DOL or downloading a form from

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Employment Law Questions