Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Toll Bros. ,in Florida,required my daughter ,as part of the

Customer Question
hiring [rocess,to sign an...
Toll Bros. ,in Florida,required my daughter ,as part of the hiring [rocess,to sign an agreement that Toll Bros will not be required to pay her the 1/2 backend commission that will be due upon sold homes closing after she had resigned.Is there any way of recovering this money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Unfortunately, an employee's entitlement to commission is dictated solely by the terms of the commission agreement they signed, plus general principles of contract interpretation. If your daughter signed a commission agreement indicating that she would not be entitled to receive the 1/2 backend commission due after closing if she resigns first, then she would not have any legal entitlement to that money. Simply put, the language of the agreement does not compel her employer to pay this money, and there is no law that would dictate a contrary result.

I truly wish I could give you better news, but I must answer your question honestly. I would be doing you a tremendous disservice otherwise. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer