Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

Can a prospective employer contact my current employer

Customer Question

Can a prospective employer contact my current employer without my permission
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm currently on a leave of absence and an employer I have interviewed with contacted my current employer and found out I was on a leave
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Yes. did you voluntarily provide the prospective employer with information for your current employer?

There are no federal or state laws in California that prevent a prospective employer from making contact with a current employer. Perhaps requesting that the prospective employer refrain from making contact with any current employers may prevent such contact. However, if if contact is made, it would not be illegal.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically I can be black balled from an industry if I left a former employer on bad terms

No, the employer cannot defame you and lie about you to other prospective employers. A defamation lawsuit could be filed against the entity that lies about your work or defames you in any way. Here is a treatise of a defamation case: http://thelawdictionary.org/article/when-to-sue-for-defamation-slander-and-libel/

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.