Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a employee with fmla status I am currently suspended

Customer Question
Hi I am a employee...
Hi I am a employee with fmla status I am currently suspended from my job and am fearing termination do i have any added protection because of the my fmla status
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
9/14/2016
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

You are protected from termination for requesting or taking such leave. If there are reasons for terminating you unrelated to the codified leave, you have no protection under the FMLA.

Of course, if the employer uses something as a pretext to terminate you for taking FMLA then you could file a complaint with the EEOC, alleging the pretext, and the employer would be required to show the termination was not due to FMLA.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.

Loren, Lawyer