John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am wanting to know what can I do about my employer hacking

Customer Question

I am wanting to know what can I do about my employer hacking into my personal gmail account. I work from home and this has happened even when I'm not working.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I'm a contractor- self employed and I offer my services to them
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

What they are doing is literally criminal under the Georgia Computer Systems Protection Act. Your recourse is to file a complaint with your local police. All that being said, this of course is an employment law question. In that context you have to think about how your filing a charge will affect the working relationship, which I'm sure it will not be a positive experience...in other words you will not be their provider any longer. Likewise, for you, as a contractor, there is no civil relief such as a retaliation claim because you are not an employee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...I am in the process of terminating my contract now. I have other emloyment. Is there a cut off time for reporting this? I will be removing myself from this contract within 2 weeks.